Welcome to the world of the everyday, the normal, the commonplace – unfortunately no ballgowns or exquisite wedding dresses, no perfect prom frocks or elaborate costumes – just plain and simple stuff. I’ve a girly weekend away and that’s as good as an excuse as any to make something new.
I’ve made my very first pair of cotton pyjamas for myself. Now, you’d think is would be easy, simple, a quick sew but there’s so much that needs to be decided upon – the options are endless and I was obviously in “decision dilemma” mode during the process. The sewing itself is not difficult, but I hmmm’d and ahhh’d for ages.
To add piping or not? Pockets and where? Elastic closed waist or ribbon tied? Ankle length or cropped? Topstitched or plain? French seams or flat felled or overlocked? Etc……
With two main fabrics – a blue and a pink – I eventually made some decisions. I added piping to the trouser outside seams, finished the legs with deep bands, made a front tie (useless, just for show and to signify the front so I don;t put them on back to front), sewed on two trimmed pockets. The pattern is Vogue 8641 (OOP) and is meant for stretch but I’ve found it works for woven too – just add 1cm to the side seams and cut the waist a little larger.
Darts or no darts? Edge finishes – bias bound and slipped stitched, folded and edge stitched, frayed, overlocked and topstitched? Front placket with buttons? Button opening the full length? No opening at all? Simple hem, bound hem, depth of band for hem? Breast pocket or not? Indecision and changing-mind half way through has resulted in a rather scrappy and patched button closure – but heck, they’re jammies and I’ve learned stuff.
The jammie top is Sorbetto (free download). Just Google Sorbetto images and you’ll see what I mean about variations, options and design decisions. In the end I opted for no bust darts, but took a little bit of time and care with bias bound edges and creating a short front opening with a button, which is also useless as the Sorbetto slides over the head with ease. The opening leads into a pressed pleat. To balance the trousers, the top is also finished with a contrasting band.
Then you need a dressing gown or some such to complete the ‘outfit’. With not enough of either fabric left to make a brand new one I dug out an old pale pink cotton dressing gown that I used to use when dyeing my hair and was stained and splattered. This is the ‘before and after’ shots.
It was shortened and a contrasting band added to the new hemline. An inverted pleat was inserted in the back for extra room, pockets on the front, new neck edge bands added to cover the stains, a strip of blue sewn along the back to hold the pleat, the sleeves were given an elongation with cuffs – endless stuff done. I think I only stopped when I ran out of fabric.
Now I know why I use patterns – they have taken all this decision making out – that’s the designer’s job; perhaps I have a pair of designer jammies though……
BTW – the photos were taken first thing in the morning – no make-up, no styling, bed head hair – just what I’d look like when wearing these for real. And don’t you dare say that I don’t look any different than when I spend 30 mins prepping each morning!