Here’s the details on the Vivienne Westwood inspired dress. I’d like to take this opportunity to remind you that this was created for the Vivienne Westwood Challenge initiated by Sew2Pro and is running until June 7th – so it’s not too late for you to join in yet!
This was the starting point – all VW dresses…..
I liked the skirt of the black lace dress, the neckline of the black tartan one, the gathered bunched up hems and the checked/tartan fabric.
So this is what I came up with – a mish-mash of all the bits I liked.
So I got to draping directly onto to Doris (despite our slightly differing figures). I used my Christmas present to myself : Draping the Complete Course
Rectangles of cotton ripped (to get the straight of grain) and pinned onto the mannequin. Then using a felt-tip pen I drew in the straight grain, armholes, the waist and side seams etc.Unpinned the cotton and tidied up the edges. These pieces then became my pattern.
I had 4m of fabric. It’s a cotton/linen blend, fairly fluid but holds its own.
The skirt is near enough a full circle – made with 4 gores. The back is normal but the fronts have asymmetrical hemlines. The sides hang longer than the middle and they are not even, I even included a selvage edge at one point. There is also a right-hand in-seam pocket. there are two darts in the back for better fitting.
The skirt is attached to a fitted bodice that has a slightly off-centre point, a one-sided diagonal dart on the left, sleeveless and a draped cowl neck.
The join of bodice and skirt sits at the waist. The join is covered with a strip of selvage , hand-sewn in place on the top edge only and closed over the zip with a snap. I notice the zip has photographed very blue, but in real life it is pale grey and blends in very well with the fabric.
The secret to the multiple looks is simple hooks and eyes…..
And sewn at the points of the skirt’s side seams are matching hooks.
Then you just hook up the hem to one of the eyes, adjust a few gathers and folds and there you have it – a new dress
Off the shoulder look is obtained by having one shoulder fastening with a button and hole with an extra button sewn under the arm.
As I’m not that keen on sleeveless tops, I made a little bolero from the leftover scraps.
This is really two raglan sleeves, a bit of a back to hold the sleeves together and a wide band to finish off.
I hope I have managed to answer some of your queries about this dress.
Thanks so much for being interested in the first place, that’s the real inspiration!