The last time you saw these T-shirts, they looked like this.
With a lot of swearing, praying, re-threading, stuck pins, bent needles, broken threads and the most uneven seam allowances ever seen I have almost managed to tame the overlocker. I mixed and matched the pattern pieces trying to re-create a Tilton signature T-shirt. Vogue 8793
One shirt has the collar from the pattern – two overlapping collars but without the zip detail: I made mine in both the narrow and broad stripes; the other is a plain bias strip. the sleeves are patched due to fabric constraints. Interestingly, as the vertical version is cut on the straight of grain it is much longer than the cross-wise cut horizontal one – or is that an optical illusion?
Fronts and backs mixed up to create two identical but mirror images of the same T. I used the selvedge edge for the neckline in the grey version, so it’s only sewn on one edge to the front. Once again, one sleeve has a cuff to patch up the shortage of fabric.
There’s a bit of wrinkling at the underarms which I’m guessing is my overlocker technique with its wild seam allowances and not the pattern.
Remember, I only had 1m of each fabric and the pattern calls for a total of 2.55m for every T-shirt. Judging by the layout diagrams there is a lot of wastage, so if you intend to make this per the pattern, choose complimentary fabrics so that you can use every scrap of the fabric and get 2 or 3 shirts at the same time.
They’ll do for gardening! I seem to be making a lot of clothes for gardening this summer – and I don’t even do the gardening!