I said in my last post that my wardrobe was well stocked and that I was having difficulty thinking of things to make for myself – hence my foray into children’s clothes. I can now state categorically that this was a temporary blip and we’re back to normal – sewing-for-me. A recent ‘looking’ trip to a very expensive ladies shop gave me some ideas for things I absolutely had to have but wasn’t prepared to part with upwards of £300 for a jacket and £180 for trousers. So guess what?
Armed with the images in my head and an internet connection I went proper shopping. With patterns already in the house I knocked up the jacket and the jeans for well under £30.
Vogue Wardrobe 8887. I love these patterns where you get tonnes of garments in one envelope. I actually bought this one (always in the sale) purely for the halter neck top, which, of course, has yet to be made. The jacket is A from this collection.
Interestingly the jacket is cut entirely on the bias, even the lining. I was very dubious about this to start with, always thinking that bias cut garments take up so much fabric and there’s always stupid corners left over that are no use to man or beast. Anyway, I cut as directed. My fabric is a stretch, light-weight printed denim. I wanted a short, summer weight jacket and liked the bracelet length sleeves and single button closure. Fabric is from My Fabric, where they also have lots of other variations and patterns in denim.
The pocket flaps in the pattern are simply that – flaps! Pointless things… so I added patch pockets to fit underneath them. I made no attempt to match up the pattern!
With every colour in the rainbow at my disposal, I added a green button from the button jar and sewed it on with pink thread. This jacket is sewn, not tailored in any way, but I did have to do a hand-bound button hole as the button was too big to fit in the button hole gadget, so please don’t look too closely. While I was at it, I sewed a small pink button on the reverse for extra strength.
I choose a bright pink cotton lining instead of poly satin, which makes me sweat – this, although a bit bulky, will help wick away the glow.
Paired with a plain navy RTW T-shirt and navy twill self drafted jeans, the flowery jacket lifts the uniform colour scheme completely. And of course, I’m not limited to navy with all this colour.
Does the jacket look a little small?
Let’s say it’s fitted instead. The bias cut means that movement is easy and unrestrained and doesn’t feel tight at all.
I did make some fairly major design changes however. After trying on the jacket was very boxy and not-fitted so I lost my waist – not the look I was after. I took in the back centre seam a lot at waist height, thereby also completing a sway back adjustment; did the same at the side seams and added darts in the back panels too.
The pattern is fairly straightforward, with the most difficult area being the collar and lapels – just trim and snip well and press endlessly.
Navy twill cotton with a teeny bit of stretch (also from My Fabrcis) made from my self-drafted pattern from Craftsy’s Jean-ius Reverse engineered jeans course with Kenneth King. I think this might be pair number 5, so I got my money’s worth there.
Trust you are all making delicious things for yourselves too….