Since starting this sewing blog I’m finding that I “name” all my garments – do you? I’ve no idea why I call this Safari maybe the colour of the brushed cotton reminds me of sand, or perhaps the semi-utilitarian style.
The fabric was ordered with the intention of making a pair of jeans (yes, another pair) but when it arrived it made its way directly to this pattern and I didn’t argue.
Another good thing about the Pattern Company is that they sell the hardware that they use to make the clothes – so I ordered the waist clasp, the tie ends and the tie holders; just like the photo.
Well, my translation didn’t quite match up with the instructions as there is a rather glaring difference between what the skirt is supposed to look like and what mine turned out as.
The clasp at the waist pulls together the front and back, creating a bunched up gathered effect – mine is without this. I just couldn’t get my head around how to attach the straps and keep the skirt loose. So I went for the ‘fitted’ look. It’s quite neat that the back strap is sewn into the back dart. The front still falls into a pleat though almost like a wrap around.
Pocket placement was for two pockets either side at mid-thigh but I thought this was too much attention grabbing at that area and opted instead for one pocket at hip height. The pockets are lovely: semi-circular with ties threaded through to gather the pocket closed. Unfortunately the opening in the clasps to hold the ties are too small for my fabric made ties. The pattern calls for elastic string but I didn’t have any. I’ll keep the clasps for another project.
I lined the whole thing (as usual) and really it sits so much better. The fabric is quite thin and there were a lot of underwear lines showing before the lining was inserted. The lining is actually another bed sheet that I bought in the wrong size for teenage son’s bed. We don’t have a bed that it fits so it went into the sewing room to be put to good use.
Right I’m off hunting…. Ruth