At the shoulders I folded down 1cm of the seam allowance and slip stitched this to the shoulder seam and the same at underarm.
This dress has a slightly strange neckline, in that it has an inset behind the front. Usually this is what the lining is attached to so I had to do some dinky-dooing to this. When I first put the dress on it gapped at the front – every time I moved there was a full frontal display. The neckline is also wide, wide enough to go beyond bra strap territory. So I rigged up a system of gears and pulleys to hold it in place – close to the chest, so to speak.
In actual fact the system is a very old-fashioned one – some ribbon and snap fasteners.
One in the centre that clips around the centre part of the bra
Then two others at the wide sides to hold bra and slip straps out of view. This was a problem with the navy crepe version – visible straps – so when that one comes back out again in the autumn I’ll add these little inside secrets. They really do make the front of the dress super secure, and decent!
Other changes I made include lengthening the pattern by 7″, same as the navy wool: replaced the kick pleats at the back with a small centre split.
Here I am shooting the breeze with Mr C.S. Lewis.
|C.S. Lewis statue : Connswater, Belfast|
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” ― C.S. Lewis