|“Take off my dress!” Esmerelda snapped at Quasimodo|
In my haste to complete this I forgot to do a sway back alteration at cutting stage so moved the back darts to a more acute angle and shock horror – couldn’t be bothered to rip out the first dart – just pressed the living daylights out of it. Believe me, I’d done so much ripping out by this stage that this dress could be categorised as being ripped out rather than sewn!
The front skirt was baggy and wrinkly around the tummy on trying on, so it was ripped apart from the bodice yet again and I added two front darts for shaping. Except I added them off centre…..
As I was doing a sleeveless version I had to cut the armholes into a different shape and then figure out the finish. So in my frustration I just cut! Now I can get my arms through the armholes and they don’t chaff against the skin but they are not symmetrical and a little loose. However, here’s a tip: if you don’t have enough fabric to make a bias strip or no colour coordinated bias binding in the box, cut a straight strip of leftover jersey fabric and apply as if it is bias. The stretch in the jersey is enough to go round the curves. This little tip is the only good thing to come out of this project so far!