Between my schoolgirl German, google translate (crap) and teenage son’s school dictionary, I managed, I think, to get the gist of what to do.
The pattern pieces are printed in colour too – all you do is choose your size and cut on the appropriate coloured line. I’m purple.
This dress turned out to be a jigsaw puzzle. Here’s all the necessary pieces cut out and hopefully matched up before sewing. There are also two ties, each 150cm long, that are attached to the front opening and wrap around the dress, more for decoration than functionality.
Strange thing with the sleeves though: see the three pieces towards the window? The cap of the sleeve is a separate piece. With my limited translation powers I wasn’t sure whether I should have patched the pattern pieces together and then cut out as one or did as I did and cut out separately.
I was a little disappointed with the fabric though. It is the beautiful shade of cornflower blue with little flowery motifs but it is polyester and as such rather stiff and ‘flat’. I carried on regardless hoping that a good pressing and a wash would soften the fabric down into a flowing cotton. I really do expect too much from my washing machine!
I sewed all the bits in assembly -line sewing and this really sped things along. Each seam is also topstitched. I used stitch size 3mm for this and did this in assembly-line style too. Pressing as I went.
I may not give up on on the pattern just yet and regard this blue affair as an unwearable muslin. A bit disappointing for my first precious sewing time these days but live a little learn a lot.
There are always good things to come out of any enterprise:
- My German is improving
- My topstitching was even and straight(ish)
- I figured out the jigsaw puzzle
- I know not to buy 100% polyester for a summer dress
- I like the German Pattern Company.
Thanks for reading. Ruth