You may, or may not, be aware of the fact that it rains a lot in Ireland. There is a perfectly good meteorological explanation for the preposterous amounts of precipitation that fall here – we are the fire wall for anything nasty that heads east across the Atlantic – it breaks on Ireland; the first land mass it comes to and by the time the low pressures hit Great Britain and Europe they are all used up: the crazy Europeans get the sun, we get the rain – c’est la vie!
So it should come as no surprise that I’ve been thinking about making a summer raincoat.
I have exacting demands:
- Not a traditional trench – don’t want epaulettes and buttons and buttonholes – too fussy for what I have in mind
- Must have one piece fronts and backs – no waist seams
- Semi-fitted – not swinging like the 1950s or maternity wear but loose enough to close without having to suck it in
- No Belts – sway back girls like me don’t suit belted coats, we are forever adjusting the gathers and pleats at the back.
- Buttons are OK but not a million of them
- Double breasted – maybe
- Pockets – without a doubt
- Preferably just above knee length
- Lined in a fancy quilters cotton type of colourful fabric
- No zips – I have enough trouble putting in a 7″ skirt zip let alone a 22″ or longer coat one
3. Eurofashionweb Also downloadable, would have to lengthen this and I’m concerned the back pleat will be too swingy.
Then I found a German site simply called Pattern Company. Absolutely gorgeous stuff, all the usual and some really unusual pieces too. I’m guessing the instructions will be in German though.
4. I know it’s belted but if left off do you think the coat moves into swingy mode?
A Danish company called Onion
9. This one has a tie at one side so I’m not too sure what it would look like open.
My usual – Vogue
11. I actually have this pattern and have made the dress but never the coat. It’s reversible. Would it look good as a raincoat?
Lots and lots to choose from and maybe some others I haven’t even found yet. However, I have failed to mention one thing….. I should be doing this……
No room for sewing for the next few weeks. Ah well, by the time this lot is marked and sent away I’ll have my raincoat fabric, pattern and sewing room back – and then, only then, will the sun be shining!
Thanks for reading. Ruth